HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES FOR SENIORS
Coronavirus update: To reduce exposure to Covid-19, we recommend focusing on activities that can be done at home (without needing to shop for materials) or outdoors (avoiding crowds or harsh weather).
Seniors Enjoy Being Included
The holidays can be fun for older adults even if they have physical or cognitive limitations. It’s all about spending time together, feeling included, and enjoying the good company – even if it’s done virtually this year. The activities you do together don’t have to be exciting to be special and meaningful. Simply being able to join in brings joy and helps your older adult enjoy the season. So, we’ve rounded up 20 fun holiday activities for seniors that are perfect to enjoy with family and friends.
We also share tips on how to modify or pace activities to keep older adults from getting too tired or overstimulated.
Fun & Festive Activities
Activities For Staying In
- Make a holiday wreath – these are fun and festive
- Decorate and fill stockings – try this cute stocking kit
- Make pomanders with oranges and cloves – like this
- Decorate the house – here are some fun ideas and these mini hat ornaments are adorable and easy to make
- Prompt kids to ask about “the olden days” so they can learn about their grandparent’s youth (this is a great conversation starter for phone or video calls)
- Play simple card games or board games
- Enjoy listening to your older adult’s favorite tunes
- Sing holiday songs together – try these holiday classics
- Have a family movie night with popcorn, extra pillows, and warm blankets to cuddle under
- Have a relaxed chat over tea or coffee
- Bake cookies – try these delicious, easy-to-make gingerbread cookies
- Cook or prepare favorite holiday foods together
- Have a gift wrap party – don’t worry if things aren’t perfectly wrapped, it’s the fun that counts!
- Get your older adult’s help with holiday cards – writing, addressing, or sealing envelopes
- Ask for their opinions or ideas while you’re shopping online for gifts
Activities For Going Out
- Stroll around the mall and admire the holiday decorations – go early to avoid the crowds
- Take a family walk around the neighborhood or through a local park
- Enjoy a delicious meal at a favorite restaurant
- Watch a feel-good holiday movie or fun comedy in the theater
- Take in a local play or musical
Keep Up To Date On News And Blogs
Find all of The Neighbors of Dunn County’s current nursing home news here.
Source: Daily Caring